Moving SQL Server 2000 Server System Databases to a New Server with BACKUP and RESTORE

• Hi Karl,

Can you give me specifics on how exactly to restore them?  I know the syntax, but don't know what /switch commands to give sqlservr so it starts correctly.  I'm using the 7.0 link in the First Post http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304692

Yes, I realize it's for 7.0, but I can't seem to find what to do different for 2000.  That situation is the exact situation I need to do for 2000.  It works up to a point, but won't let me change the tempdb lines.  I can then also not restore model or msdb, no matter which sqlserver / switch combinations I use.

• Check this link and follow the instuctions for moving TempDB using the Alter Database command:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224071#XSLTH3207121122120121120120 

Sorry if this is obvious, but don't try to backup or restore TempDB and keep in mind that it will be recreated everytime you restart SQL Server.

The other page that you're using should also work for moving SQL Server 2000 system databases.  Karl is correct, you need to first restore the system DB's and do them in a specific order, then restore your user db's. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• There is actually an other way to change the path:

If sqlserver is running you can connect with EM, open master, tables and right-click on table sysaltfiles, show all lines... you can then edit the path online. Be sure to do the same in the table sysfiles.

Is's not really recommended by ms, but since the server doesn't run anyway, there is no problem doing it. Has worked for me in the past...

If your server runs win2k or 3k, you can start the sql server servic by doubleclicking the service in control panel - services. you just have to give the parameters (-m -c -T... etc.)

Best regards
    karl

• Check out ApexSQL's tools. There are a couple that might help you with this migration. The script and diff tools in particular may help with the move. You can find them at http://www.apexsql.com.

Good luck with this though, it seems tricky.
  • Hey guys,

OK, so here's what's happening.  I install a fresh SQL.  I start it in single user mode (-c -f) and restore the master, using the "with move" and replace lines.  It does that succesfully.  If I then try to restore model or msdb it keeps comming back with Tempdb is skipped -you cannot run a query that requires tempdb.  If I try updating tempdb, I see it disconnect the sqlsevr service and then it gives a connection broken message.  The error in the cmd prompt is problem activating all tempdb files (it does say clearing tempdb database above it).

I have tried using different combinations of sqlsevr -c -f -T3608 -T4002 to no avail.

• This is a guess, but it sounds like your TempDB locations are different on the two servers.  If you restored Master from another server and then this restore is looking for TempDB in a different path or on another drive you would get this message.  Is it possible for you to temporarily place the TempDB files on the exact same drive and folder location as your original server?  You could then later relocate TempDB to wherever you wanted it using the methods detailed before.  Hope this helps. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Hey Sswords,

Yes, the entire structure is different on the 2 servers.  On the production server, there was a C, D and E drive.  All databases (except OurDatabase) are on the E: drive.  Ourdatabase is on the D drive.

On the new server, there is just one drive.

I'm getting desperate enough to grab an IDE drive, format it and drop it in as an E just to get past this spot.  My question is this... will there need to be tempdb files actually on the E: drive, and if so, which ones?  The fresh install tempdb, or copies of the original?

Once done, what do I type to tell it to change tempdb to go to the same locations as the other dbs on the new server?  I can't use replace/restore, and I don't think detach attach works.

Is there no command I can use to update where master thinks tempdb is?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply