Moving SQL2000 db into SQL2k8 (leaving compatibility mode 8)

• Hi there everyone,

Have a quick question.:w00t:

1. If i just backup db from sql2008, then restore to sql2008 and leave the compatibility level as it is (80).. will everything work ok without having to go through the upgrade assitant/advisor for normal upgrade?

cheers

• Not necessarily. If your 2000 db has features that have been removed, then those won't work.

I suggest that you run the Upgrade Advisor against the database to see what it comes up with. If something isn't supported, it will let you know.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I'm not sure I agree with that...

If the op leaves the database in 2000 compatibility mode, everything should work (including deprecated code). It has worked that way for us in testing. Only when the database is upgraded to version 10, things should break if issues aren't resolved.

Interestingly, most SQL 2008 new features also work when databases are set to version 8 in our testing (Page compression, backup compression, Auditing, Policies etc).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply