Moving SSRS solutions from DEV to PROD

• Hi,

I am trying to get a new client to organise their SQL environment; one of the problems is using SSRS.

Assume you create a solution and you have a datasource that points at a DEV box and another datasource that points at a PROD box. I can see that you can use the Configuration options to change deployment targets and deploy/overwrite datasources etc.

However, every dataset in every report states in the RDL file which datasource it is using; when you use the configuration manager it does not update the report datasets to use the PROD datasource.

I don't want to have to propose that they do a search and replace inside the .rdl files in notepad to update all the datasources to PROD before they deploy to PROD.

Am I missing something obvious? What do other people do?

Thanks,

Richard

• We wrote reports and deployed in many locations the only requirements are shared datasource and copy of the datasource database running. Then you copy the code from dev with associated solution files and upload, it is that simple. Copy RDL, images and all code with associated solution files. If you are not using shared datasource it can get complicated.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hope i'm wording this correctly:

Modify the reports to use a Shared Datasource(s) (If multiple datasources are being used) and deploy the reports in the various environments. (Change the deployment server name and keep the Overwrite datasource property as false.)

For the initial deployment, once you deploy to QA/Prod, you'll have to modify the datasources manually. in subsequent deployments, since the Overwrite datasources property is false, the different environments would retain their respective connections.

• Hi,

I just realised how stupid my question was. I was confused by the fact that the client has setup different datasources pointing at DEV and PROD, whereas they just need the datasource to actually be the same name on each box. Doh!

Thanks for the replies guys. 😀

Richard

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply