moving system databasesin sql2005 cluster

• i have cluster 2005 64 bit . i need to move all system datbases to other directory. here are the steps i follow but it did not work.

i took sql related service offline from cluster admin.

i went to surface area configuration and change master databse files to new location

started sql from command prompt with -m -T3806 flags (single user mode)

i open QA and updated data and log file for all rest of three systyem datbaes by deattaching and . sattaching and alter datbase command.

i run sp_helpdb for all db and confirmed new file location for all system datbase.

i stopped sql server and the started in normal mode and confirm the same again.

now stoope sql services again and brought sql services from cluster admin

to my shock when i connected with cluster and chek path for system datbases it was changed back to old one for all system databases.

yes i did copy all file including resouce dtabse to new location

now the problem how i should have changed it that virtual server show my new location when i connect to virtual sql server

any clue? please advise.

:crazy: :alien:

Umar Iqbal

• Thanks Scot.

I read the article. Information is good. but the only question i have is will it work for cluster environment. These step seems to work fine for stand alone machine and I have varified them but in cluster it keep changing back to original file location.

Starting cluster sql server in single user mode is same as standalone mode?

what i did is stop all services from cluseter admin except ip

then in i did change registry with new data file location and restarted sql from commadn prompt in single user mode.

i think i did something wrong in above steps. please confirm these steps below are correct. stopping sql clusert services

1/ Use ALTER DATABASE MODIFY FILE to tell the master database where most of the system databases will reside.

i have to give new location of datafile and log file here.

2/ Update the service startup parameters in the registry so that the service finds the master database and log.

3/ Stop the cluster sql service to unlock the files.

4/ Move the files to the new location.

5/ now Start the sql service with the -f (minimal configuration) flag and the -T3608 trace flag from command prompt "not cluster admin" to prevent automatic recovery.

6/ Use ALTER DATABASE MODIFY FILE to record the new location of the mssqlsystemresource database.

7/ Move the mssqlsystemresource file.

8/ Set mssqlsystemresource database to read only.

9/ Stop sql services and Start the SQL Server Service from "cluster admin " in normal mode.

:crazy: :alien:

Umar Iqbal

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply