MS Access to SQL 2005 conversion errors

• Hi,

Getting back into SSIS again after some time away.....

Have to import from an Access Database table into a table on MS SQL 2005.

I receive a bunch of conversion errors and I am wondering about the best way of fixing the problem.

I am using a dataflow task, with OLE Db datasoruces.

An example error is:

[dbname [130]] Warning: Truncation may occur due to inserting data from data flow column "GENDER" with a length of 255 to database column "GENDER" with a length of 2.

The datatype on the Access side is Text and is retrived via a sql query. The datatype on SQL 2005 is nvarchar(2). I can change the datatype on the SQl 2005, but i feel i should be able to convert it somehow.

Ive just started looking into the Character Map\Derived Column transformations, but I think the solution may me something a bit simpler?

thanks,

• You can change the behavior on truncation. Look under "configure error handling" in the SSIS data flow task (each of the various stages should have a config error handling). Assuming you know that the data in access in that field really is only 2 characters or less, then just tell it to ignore the truncation error

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I agree with the post above.

Another way to solve this problem is to use the advanced settings of the source. Change the column length in the input and output tab.

If you need any more information just let me know

Niels Naglé

• thanks guys.

I will look into those options.

Doing a three day course on SSIS in a few weeks, hopefully they will cover stuff like that.

• These courses should cover this load indeed.

Good luck with the course

Greetings,

Niels Naglé

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply