MS Console and SQL Server Enterprise manager settings problem

• Over the weekend we’ve been moved from an old domain to the new domain. My computer name changed and username changed as well since it’s preceded with the new domain name. So, I am using the new profile now, that is exact copy of the old profile.

I used to have a long list of SQL servers registered in MS SQL Enterprise Manager. When I login with the old name (profile) I still can see all these servers. I saved the console settings to a *.msc file.

When I login to the new domain and open console by clicking on the saved file I don’t see any of my registered servers.

Is there a way to transfer the console settings? Am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• I seen someome reported similar problem in this forum but can't remember how do they resolved it.

• try this  .., in the old profile open a mmc an then open microsoft sql enterprise manager from the snap-in, check that all servers are listed, then file save as to any name, copy paste the file to new profile and check..

may be it works ¡¡

JR

• JR,

I've already tried what you suggested by saving and replacing the "SQL Server Enterprise Manager" file in MMC folder. In my new profile it still opens my new console content where I recently registered just two servers.

Thanks

• If I remember correctly, the settings are saved encrypted in the registry (HKCU). The encryption uses the domain/username variables. I do not know of any solution for this. This does not help you, but it will make it more logical why this is.

• True about the registry...

The easiest way I found was to two .REG files on logon, which restores the entries if they disapear.

The two point of interest are:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\SQLEW\UserRegistrationInfo = 1

And the entire sub-tree of:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\SQLEW\Registered Servers X

Hope this helps.

Doesn't fix things but gets around yet another annoying MS bug.

Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply