MS SQL Server 2000 will not release memory

• Does anyone knows why the "sqlservr.exe" doesn't release the memory even when I close Query Analyzer, Enterprise Manager and anything that is connected to MS SQL 2000?

I'm having to reboot the server every two weeks due to this problem.  As the days go by, the "sqlservr.exe" memory usage grows to a point where there is no more memory left in the server.

[font="Verdana"]Sal Young[/font]
    [font="Verdana"]MCITP Database Administrator[/font]

• Once SQL Server has the memory, unless the operating system requires it, it will not get released. How much memory on the server and what does SQL grow to?

QA and EM don't affect the memory uses themselves. Only queries on the server do that.

• The server has 2.5GIG of memory and SQL grows to 1.8GIG.  It makes sense when you say "QA and EM don't affect the memory uses themselves. Only queries on the server do that" because intensive queries on the server increase the amount of memory used by SQL but it doesn't get released.

Thank u very much for the fast reply.

[font="Verdana"]Sal Young[/font]
    [font="Verdana"]MCITP Database Administrator[/font]

• I don't see a problem with this.   SQL Server will grab as much memory as it can up to the limit you set in the configuration properties (assuming you are using "dynaically configure Memory"  Using 1.8G of 2.5 seems great to me.  Actually I might even let it have 2G of the 2.5 available.  The .5 -.7 G left over is plenty for the operating system.  

I assume nothing but SQL Server is running on this machine.   Or is the problem that there are other applications on this box that need the memory?   If so I think the solution may be to move these applications elsewhere so SQL taking all that memory is not a problem.

Francis

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply