MS SQL SERVER 2005 surface area configuration manager

• Hi, all,

I installed MS SQL server 2005 on windows 2008. The installation went smoothly except for minor complaints of Visual Studio.

After installation, I did basic configurations and all was fine. I have a question though in relation to SQL surface area configuration manager.

On the window that opens when I start SQL surface area configuration manager, there is a link called "Add New Administrator". When I click on this link, it does not respond at all. It works well on another machine that I am running with Windows Server 2003.

Is there anyone who can give me a reason or a clue why this link fails to respond?

Thanks indeed for your hint.

Regards

Niyala

• Perhaps a bad installation of it. I haven't seen this to be a problem on other machines.

• Thanks indeed.

If that was a bad installation, shouldn't I be getting an error message when I double click the link? The link is not doing anything.

Regards

Niyala

• Could it be a security enhancement in Windows 2008? to lock everything down by default?

SQL 2008 (which intends to work with Windows 2008) has removed the Surface Area configuration

That's why I think it's all related

Unfortunately I can't try it out

SQLServerNewbie MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • Niyala (11/3/2008)

Hi, all,

I installed MS SQL server 2005 on windows 2008. The installation went smoothly except for minor complaints of Visual Studio.

After installation, I did basic configurations and all was fine. I have a question though in relation to SQL surface area configuration manager.

On the window that opens when I start SQL surface area configuration manager, there is a link called "Add New Administrator". When I click on this link, it does not respond at all. It works well on another machine that I am running with Windows Server 2003.

Is there anyone who can give me a reason or a clue why this link fails to respond?

Thanks indeed for your hint.

Regards

Niyala

Windows 2008 is different then windows 2003

Add the SQL Service Account you are using to Run SQL Server to the following below.

SQL 2K5 local policy level.

A) Act as part of the Operating System

B) Bypass Traverse Checking

C) Lock Pages In Memory

D) Log on as a Batch Job

E) Log on as a Service

F) Replace a Process Level Token

and if you can please post the Install Log summary.txt in the bootstrap directory. It will tell you if anything failed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply