MS to do or not to do

• Hi All,

This is request to all pro's of the field please give me an opinion ....

I recently got an admit in one of the universities in US and the investment is huge though I do not have the money but I am taking up a loan .....

But there are a few things which are bothering me and need an advice over it ...

My motives to do MS are pretty clear :

1) I want to do a masters in information systems

2) I want to enhance my knowledge by getting to know how things actually work

3) Give myself an edge of holding a Master's degree

4) I want to get into a decision making role and when I am in the role I want to make sure I am making the right decision

Whats bothering me is:

1) The amount of risk I am taking, as I already have a job if not great it definitely is decent

2) The state of affairs I do not know by the time it is time for me to search for an internship will companies be offering any attributed to the slowdown

3) I am no great brain but in the industry we are we do not need a MS but then to get a break to showcase yourself MS is good

4) At this juncture the amount of investment I am making is huge but then is it worth it

• Probably the most important question: Would you enjoy doing an MS or the type of work that it can lead to? We live only once 🙂

It is true that an MS opens up new opportunities, but it also closes some (over qualification?).It is definitely a financial sacrifice initially (cost of the course + missed income during that period), but it may allow you to do what you enjoy the most 🙂

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• Frankly I would enjoy learning but I would want to put that learning to use rather than slog myself at the donkey work ....

• Megha go ahead with your studies. surely it will be more fruitful later. Slowdown is temporary but knowledge is permanent.......:P

• It's hard to give advice here because the education is partially an investment for your career, but partially an investment in yourself. You will make contacts and enhance your knowledge base in interesting ways. Not necessarily all will help your career. I think you have to really want to achieve the degree and enhance your knowledge independently of the $$ investment for your career.

That being said, the slowdown will be temporary, maybe 2-3 years, but I really feel the US will pick up. One thing I'd consider if maybe working part time while I'm doing studies to keep myself growing. Or look to get multiple internships over your few years and gain experience in a few areas.

If you are looking for manager/director/VP/etc, then I think the MS will help over time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply