MSDB Suspect

• I have the following error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Database 'msdb' cannot be opened. It has been marked SUSPECT by recovery. See the SQL Server errorlog for more information. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 926)

------------------------------------------

I don´t have a backup file for MSDB database. What can I do?

Thanks a lot.

Viky.

• First step....Have a look through the logs to see if there is there any indication of why the database was marked as suspect.

Actually, I came across this posting a while back. It's worth you taking a read through this.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldisasterrecovery/thread/d9a8bd3b-017c-4ff9-b26c-71402c70bfe6

• First thing we need to see is the SQL error logs. There should be a message in there indicating why MSDB is suspect. Hopefully, it'll be something easy to resolve.

If it's not then, because you have no backups (why not?) you'll have to rebuild MSDB. There are instructions somewhere on MSDN. Your favourite search engine should be able to find them.

Note that you will lose all your jobs and maintenance plans, backup and job history, SQL Agent alerts, any SSIS or DTS packages saved in the server and maybe some other things. I can't remember everything that's stored in MSDB.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • There might be couple of reasons of database being in suspect mode. Check that the log files and data files have enough space to grow, if space is less, make some storage space and restart the service.

If this does not help reset the database and restart the server,

Sp_configure 'allow updates', 1

Reconfigure with override

GO

sp_resetstatus 'mydbname'

GO

If this does not help then last attempt would to put database in emergency mode and try to rebuild the log file if log is corrupted or you can pull out data from tables, since in emergency mode you can read the tables.

update master..sysdatabases set status = status | -32768

where name = 'db'

Make sure to run the following script to disable the updates to system database table.

Sp_configure 'allow updates', 0

PS: I have fixed suspected database issue using this approach on user databases, but never got opportunity on system databases.

Wish you luck..

Swarndeep

http://talksql.blogspot.com

• Do the other things above before you resort to this:

http://rip747.wordpress.com/2008/05/26/rebulding-msdb-in-sql-server-2005/

CEWII

• since1980 (8/23/2009)

Sp_configure 'allow updates', 1

GO

sp_resetstatus 'mydbname'

GO

update master..sysdatabases set status = status | -32768

where name = 'db'

Sp_configure 'allow updates', 0

This advice is only valid for SQL 2000 databases. Since the OP has a SQL 2005 database and this is the 2005 forum, this information is not usable as allow_updates does not work on SQL 2005 and sysdatabases is no longer a table.

On SQL 2005 there is a documented way to set a DB into emergency mode, ALTER DATABASE ... SET EMERGENCY

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks. Sounds good.

Swarndeep

http://talksql.blogspot.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply