MSDE 2000 maintenance plan

• I would be interested if someone is using maintenance plans on MSDE 2000 without any problems. When using EM to manage a MSDE server I get no 'database maintenance plans' option under management unless SP1 is installed. OK - must have SP1. But whenever I create a scheduled database backup the problems begin. The 'Remove Files Older Than' option cannot be changed from 0, the drop down list that should contain Minute(s), Hour(s), Day(s), etc is empty and the schedule info box is empty. If I try and change any of the Integrity options I see an error msg when I click Apply or OK that says - Error 8114. Error converting data type int to tinyint.

This is all quite frustrating as I want my MSDE users to be able to use an app I wrote that uses SQLNS and gives them some power over the scheduling of maintenance tasks whilst not allowing them access to the 'Jobs' part of Server Agent which is too unfriendly for them and provides a bit more than I want them to be able to do. I see the same problems whether it be in my app or in EM so any help on this would be apreciated.

Andy B.

• This looks like it could be caused by the BackupDirectory registry entry. Or more accurately the lack of one! MSDE does not seem to set up a backup directory and subsequently the registry key that points to this directory is also missing.

Once a backup directory has been created, add a string value to the registry called BackupDirectory and enter the path to the backup directory as the text. The location of this entry in the registry depends on the instance name of the installation. If it is the default installation it needs to be placed in 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer'. Otherwise it needs to be created at 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\{INSTANCENAME}\MSSQLServer' where {INSTANCENAME} is the instance name of the installation concerned.

• Thanks for the feedback.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply