MSDE 2000 Questions

• Hi can anyone enlighten me on this cut down version of SQL Server. I was hoping to distribute it as a back end for my applications I develop for those customers who can't aford the full version of SQL Server 2000.

I tried the Microsoft site but was overwhelmed with info (mostly useless).

What does it cost?

How do I get it?

How do I distribute it.

I assume I develop my table and stroed procs in my own copy of Enterprise Manager.

How do I administer it at the client site etc.

Can anyone point me to a good link / resources on this.

Thanks for you patience.

CCB.

• Hi Charlotte,

I've worked on something similar. 

Doesn't cost anything.

Yes you can develop your db and SP's etc via SQL server.

You can administer it by using your sql server and registering the msde db via tcp/ip (if you are allowed to dial in to the client). 

You basically treat it like a 'normal' sql db.

Good Luck!

Ritch

"I didn't do anything it just got complicated" - M Edwards

• Thanks for the response. I am quite new to SQLServer hence my ignorance in the setting up of it.

If I want to build the database into an InstallShield Installer, Can I do this.

How I imagine this would work would be that I would generate a script to set up the database ? and run this from the installer. Would this be correct or I am I on the wrong track here. I can't tcp/ip into the clients. So failing this how would you suggest I get it from My full version of SQL Server on to the client PC. Also how do I make the database start on the users PC so I can connect to it from my application.

Thanks in Advance.

• The way I handled the db part in the installshield was: Script it to install MSDE, plus any service packs/mdac. Then have the script point to a network copy of the db and restore it. This way you can design it on SQL Server, and perform any upgrades to the db or install package far easier. and When you have completed the install package you can copy it to a CD and send to the site. Hope this helps. Ritch

"I didn't do anything it just got complicated" - M Edwards

• Hi

You can find Tool for MSDE on http://www.msde.biz.

Documentation from Microsoft:

MSDE 2000 is packaged in MSDN® Universal Subscriptions (as part of the SQL Server CD-ROMs) for the purpose of developing desktop applications that are fully compatible with SQL Server 2000. With MSDN Universal Subscription licensing, you can develop, use, and redistribute MSDE 2000 as part of the applications you build, provided that you comply with the distribution terms listed in the master EULA. To view the license agreement, visit MSDN. You will need client access licenses (CALs) or processor licenses to deploy MSDE 2000 applications that access SQL Server back-end data and resources.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/development/2000/MSDE2000.asp

MSDE is fully compatible with other editions of SQL Server and is available through various Microsoft products beyond SQL Server 2000 Enterprise, Standard, and Developer Editions. These include MSDN Universal and Office Developer Edition 10. MSDE is optimized for use as a stand-alone desktop database and does not require any CALs when used on a purely stand-alone basis. Redistribution rights exist for some versions of MSDE and can be found in the EULAs for the products mentioned above.

Customers using the Processor licensing model enjoy unlimited connections to the server running the licensed SQL Server. Customers using the Server/CAL (versus Per-Processor) licensing model must have a CAL dedicated to any device using MSDE—either in stand-alone form, or as part of one of the products mentioned above.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/msde.asp

Question: If a partner wants to join to the Royalty program because he is convinced that his application (which needs a SQL-Server database) will be installed more than 2000 times to his customers, why should he join to this programm, because he can download the MSDE and can redistribute MSDE with ALL functionality of the full SQL-Server Enterprise edition (if the customer only needs the database on his clients) !!

Answer: The first decision point for an ISV is can their application function properly with MSDE, or do they need full SQL Server (Std or Ent Edition)?  If the MSDE limitations (specifically the 2 GB database size limit and 5 concurrent connection performance throttle) do not pose problems for them, they most likely wouldn't have a need for this type of program (since MSDE meets their needs and they can freely redistribute it).  However, if the MSDE limitations do pose problems for them, then they would need full SQL Server (Std or Ent Edition).  If they determine they need SQL Server, their next decision point becomes, do I embed/integrate and redistribute, or do I just require the customer to obtain the SQL Server software and licenses on their own.  If they do want to embed/integrate and redistribute, then they would need either the ISV Royalty Licensing Program or the Product Integration Program (these are the only two programs that allow ISVs to redistribute SQL Server).  If they just want to leave it up to the customer, then they would not need this type of program.

Question: Why do I need the CAL licence for the SQL-Server installed on a client ? Is it only valid if the database runs on a server and all clients don't have a client SQL-Server runtime installed and they have to access to the server in order to have access to the database installed there ?

Answer: MSDE is free ONLY if it will not access or utilize a SQL Server database (either directly or indirectly).  If it will either directly or indirectly access or utilize a SQL Server database, then a CAL would be required for the device that MSDE is installed.

I hope you can do this info's

muj

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply