MSDE: Conflict with two SQL instances running

• I have installed two SQL instances but they will not run at the same time, they will both run independantely if I shut the other down but if they are both running one will work and they other will fail with the error that the instance name cannot be found... any ideas.... i have this working fine on another machine, so I start to think of service packs, etc that should be installed, any ideas?

• Hi, if you are running two instances you have to make sure that your client application can connect to the instance with the santy of MachineName\InstanceName,Portnumber if it ises a non default port (1433).

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.

---

http://www.sqlserver2005.de

---

• thanks for the advice but not sure what you're getting at, the whole issue is to do what I think you're saying and there being a conflict when both instances running

both instances have a name if this is your point?

what is santy - i presume a typo?

• can you run two sql instances on the same comp running on the same TCP/IP port

• You can run multiple SQL instances on the same server, regardless of service pack.

What are your instances called?  Is the instance name reflected in the path to the program libraries and system databases for each instance.  The default instance normally has the name MSSQL in the file paths, while a named instance, eg FRED, will have MSSQL$FRED in the file paths.

If you run multiple instances on the same box and use TCP as a access method, you need to configure a separate port for each instance.  If you try to start multiple instances all using the same port you will get a port conflict message.  I cannot remember if the second, etc, instances will actually start but if they do they will not listen on TCP.  See BOL for details on configuring ports.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• yeah the problem was that the two instances were trying to run on the same port, was not getting a port conflict message (which would have been helpful) just getting an error that the instance could not be found, all sorted

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply