MSDE Default Port Number

• We are going to be deploying an application to our corporate users laptops which is going to utilize an MSDE database. One of the security items I address with all of our internal Standard SQL Server installations is to change the default port number from 1433 to another number. I would like to do this on the MSDE installations, however, I would like to do this through a script either at the database level, or a command level since the installation is going to be done through a CD. So far I have not been able to find a way to do this other than changing a couple of registry keys which is a bad idea.

Does anyone know how I can change the default port number using a script or command line execution?

Thanks

• To answer your question directly: No, I am not sure how to change the port without using Server Network Utility.

But, will you need any ports open?  If I understand you correctly, you will be using MSDE from a local application on the same machine.  Will you have anything remote accessing the MSDE database on the local machine?  If not, you will not need port 1433 open.  That port is only needed for remote TCP connections to MSDE.

In fact, if you accept the default MSDE installation, all network connections will be disabled.  Only Shared Memory connection will work, which do not use any network ports, and are much more efficient and quicker.  For a local application, that is the better connection protocol.

So unless you need to modify the default MSDE installation for remote network connections, you will not need to modify the default port.

Hope this helps

Mark

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply