MSDTC Issue

• Hi ALL,

I was tring to run transaction on remote server B from server A, but it is erroring out with below error .

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "khsdevsql02" returned message "No transaction is active.".

Msg 7391, Level 16, State 2, Line 3

The operation could not be performed because OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "khsdevsql02" was unable to begin a distributed transaction

This problem exists only when I use BEGIN TRAN statement if not it is working as expected. So I have configured MSDTC on both servers to aviod this issue but no luck.

FYI:

BOth server's has sql server 2005 residing on Windows server 2008 and these machines are virtual machines resinding on single physical machine.

I have enabled all the secuirty configurations ,DTC service is running on both .. as mentionted in couple of forums but no luck..

>>> One more thing, If I run a TRAN from server C (which is physical machine with 2003 operating system) it is working fine. I am completely stuck with this issue since past 3 days.

Any help is really appreciated .

As of now I told developers not to use TRAN to unblock them ( But its really bad thing to do but I dont have any options).

• Lets see..

A - SQL 2005 on Windows 2008 - virtual

B - SQL 2005 on Windows 2008 - virtual

A and B on same physical host.

C - SQL ???? on Windows 2003 - physical

A can't start distributed transaction to B?

C can talk to B?

What do you mean by:

I have enabled all the secuirty configurations ,DTC service is running on both

Have you enabled "Allow remote clients"?

Also can machine A resolve machine B's address? Do they have the same protocols active (TCP/IP)?

CEWII

• Lets see..

A - SQL 2005 on Windows 2008 - virtual

B - SQL 2005 on Windows 2008 - virtual

A and B on same physical host.

C - SQL ???? on Windows 2003 - physical

A can't start distributed transaction to B?

C can talk to B?

>> Yes. Server C has SQl server 2005 on windows 2003.

-Server C can talk to both A and B .

-A and B were able to talk to C.

-Only A and B servers are not able to talk.

What do you mean by:

I mean ,I have enabled Allow Inbound/Outbound,allow remote clients ,remote administration...

Also can machine A resolve machine B's address? Do they have the same protocols active (TCP/IP)?

Yes, A is resolving B and vice versa.

TCP/IP 1433 has been allocated for sql server .Not sure what port it will use for MSDTC to communicate.

>>One more thing Windows firewall is completely disabled on both A and B ..,I guess port is not an issue as firewall is disabled ..I am I right?????

• kiransuram19 (12/7/2009)

>> Yes. Server C has SQl server 2005 on windows 2003.

-Server C can talk to both A and B .

-A and B were able to talk to C.

-Only A and B servers are not able to talk.

What do you mean by:

I mean ,I have enabled Allow Inbound/Outbound,allow remote clients ,remote administration...

Yes, A is resolving B and vice versa.

TCP/IP 1433 has been allocated for sql server .Not sure what port it will use for MSDTC to communicate.

>>One more thing Windows firewall is completely disabled on both A and B ..,I guess port is not an issue as firewall is disabled ..I am I right?????

I was questioning what exactly was meant by "I have enabled all the secuirty configurations" but you clarified it in your response. A can talk to B just not with a distributed transaction? And vice-versa? Both servers are listening on port 1433 and firewalls are disabled. I think you covered server protocols with the 1433 discussion.. Have you looked at client protocols on each node? Is TCP/IP enabled on both?

There is a distinct difference between server and client protocols on the server. When using a linked server one SQL Server is acting as a client to another and in that case it uses the client protocols enabled.

Is that clear?

Because everything else seems pretty good.

CEWII

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply