MSDTC issue thru linked server (Oracle provider)

• sql2000 - sp4

I have a problem on my production box and test where I have a linked server to an Oracle instance. The linked server works fine until I issue a distributed transaction around the statement.

When I do I receive the below error going to  a prod and test oracle instance

Server: Msg 7391, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'MSDAORA' was unable to begin a distributed transaction.

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDAORA' ITransactionJoin::JoinTransaction returned 0x8004d01b].

If I run a distributed query thru a linked server to a sql box everything is fine.

I am positive MSDTC is fine.

I was contemplating dtc ping but the proc it runs I traced and see it actually cycles thru for 50 minutes then fails  ?? So how could it be a firewall issue ??

Any help would be appreciated !!

• there is a primary key on both sides?

• YES the one oracle table has 2 PK keys.

SQL server side where it deletes from  18 tables does has a primary key on every table but maybe half on the same column/columns as oracles keys. 

UPDATE:  We actually kept rerunning it and it finally completed successfully. Yet when I issue begin distributed tran it still fails.

Go figure ?

• Could it be the new security settings for MSDTC in Windows 2003?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Administering/debuggingmsdtcissues/1257/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply