Multi-database project

• Hello. A customer asked us to use four databases for a new software we are supposed to develop. I am not an expert at SQL Server and all my previous "designs" were based on a single-database model. I would like to know where I should place my stored procedures, considering that most of them will need to access more than one database. Is it better to create a "tableless" database, to place all my SP's, or should I spread the procedures according to the "deepest impact" they have on each DB?

If it helps, the databases' names (easy to guess the contents) are:

- Users

- Exercises

- Courses

- Sessions

Thanks in advance!

• I'm not aware of any performance gains regarding the database that a procedure is stored in (not there isn't I just don't know of any).

There is no reason to create a seperate database, this would actually be a waste.  If you're concerned about orginization of procedures, place your procedures in the database that they logically make sense with... 

ie If a procedure is written to update user data after they have had little activity, then this procedure would go in the users database.  Likewise, if a procedure is written to update sessions then this procedure would go in the sessions database.

My thoughts anyway

-

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply