Multi Server Administration - Protocol issue

• Hi SSC Community,

I am looking into enabling Multi Server Administration, essentially I'd like to try out to run Ola's Maintenance for 3 environments on a different schedule to run Backups.

Catch #1: I don't want to set MsxEncryptChannelOptions to 0 as we do have a CA and the desired Master Server has a valid certificate including full chain of trust up to the CA.

I've tried to add a Target Server to MSX which led me to an error and a (at least to me) very interesting Error Message:

Date		9/25/2019 9:46:26 AM
    Log SQL Server (Current - 9/25/2019 9:46:00 AM)

Source Logon

Login failed for user 'Domain\SQL_Agent_Account'. Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided. [CLIENT: <named pipe>]

The server is using a non default port (41433) which I specified when adding the master server in the connection string of the target server. Both servers have valid and working SPNs so I am wondering: Can I force SQL Server to use TCP/IP on both Master / Target Servers in regards to Multi Server Administration and if so, how?

Yes the domain account is in MSDB and has the TargetServersRole permission set to it.

• for connection string try the following  :

tcp:hostname,portname

link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/tools/configuration-manager/creating-a-valid-connection-string-using-tcp-ip

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply