Multi-Users and Stored Procedures

• I just saw a post on a forum that said if two users fire the same stored procedure at the same time there would be problems.

Is this an issue? How do I avoid it?

• FredS (8/31/2009)

I just saw a post on a forum that said if two users fire the same stored procedure at the same time there would be problems.

Anything more specific than 'problems'? Got a link to the forum post?

Is this an issue? How do I avoid it?

It might cause blocking, depending what the proc is doing, but that's true for ad-hoc SQL too. Nothing specific about procs been run concurrently.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Read the rest of that thread. The post that you quite is speaking purely about the idea of using a trigger and is incorrect as well.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Just to pile on a bit, a well designed system may have 30 or 40 people calling a single stored procedure at the same time with very few issues. Relax & focus on designing the tables & indexes well and writing good TSQL.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply