Multiple backup devices using SQLmaint

• Is it possible to do parallel backups to disk using SQL Maint ?

Does anyone know the syntax ?

steve

• If you mean 'writing more than one backup file ('striping' the backup), then to my knowledge no. You need to write scripts in order to perform 'striped' backups.

If you mean, 'executing' multiple database backups (backing up different databases at the same time), then it's just multiple maintenance plans executed at the same time (provided you have the disk and CPU resource).

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Sorry about the confusion. Your first thought is what I was getting at,  'striping' a backup.

• Not a problem. As far as striping goes, I've had the best performance gains overall when striping to either 4 or 6 files. (it's depended on hardware ... CPUs, disks, SAN or not, etc). Benchmarking is the only way to make the final call. Out of curiosity:

1) how large is the database ?

2) are you on local diska or a SAN ?

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• >>1) how large is the database ?

250 G

>>2) are you on local diska or a SAN ?

On a big "Array"...but not SAN....<sigh>.

• Then for striping, I'd suggest trying to put your backup 'stripes' on separate disk controllers if possible. Good Luck !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply