Multiple Database, One Result Set

• Is there a way to run a query against certain databases and have the results come back as one result set like UNION would do? I want to create a view for SSRS and I need my query to run only against certain databases. The number of databases may grow but the naming convention will always be the same. Does this make sense?

• You'll need to use dynamic sql to build the sql statement with all the union alls. This assumes that the # of db can change at any time and you don't want to recode all the reports.

• I was thinking of that but I would always have a UNION at the end of my statement which would blow everything up. How do I get around that?

• Not sure I get your question.

Are you having trouble building a valid select statement in dynamic sql?

DECLARE @Exec VARCHAR(MAX)

SET @Exec = ''

SELECT

@Exec = @Exec + 'SELECT * FROM [' + name + '].sys.objects UNION ALL '

FROM

[master].dbo.sysdatabases

WHERE

--Use your parameter in hear instead. --Make sure to protect against sql injection

name NOT IN ( 'master' , 'tempdb' , 'model' , 'msdb' )

SET @Exec = STUFF(@Exec , DATALENGTH(@Exec) - 10 , 10 , '')

PRINT @Exec

EXEC (

@Exec

)

ROLLBACK

BTW you need union ALL in this case, union performs a distinct to flush out duplicates. I assume you don't need to do this in this particular case.

• Didn't know about the STUFF command, that helps. Another question, using that code how can I get this to work using it? I've been trying and I can't quite get it working.

SELECT FullUrl AS 'Site URL', TimeCreated, DATEADD(d,

DayLastAccessed + 65536,

CONVERT(datetime, '1/1/1899', 101)) AS

lastAccessDate

FROM [DATABSE_NAME].dbo.Webs

WHERE (DayLastAccessed <> 0)

• Never mind, I got everything working. Thank you very much for your help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply