multiple drives for database files and log files

• I have an older server that needed some Q

• ???

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Sorry hit the enter key to fast.

What I wanted to say is I have a SQL 2005 box attached to an older SAN device. They have just freed up space for me which I need. On on of the drives I was going to put a heavy hit database. I did this before (they are 6 databases which support this app that uses this db server). I now have an issue that the drive for my transaction log is getting tight, and I can move all my logs to a second drive thye gaveme or just some of them. Anyone ever tried this as a performance gain?

• Yes, it is possible for that to give performance gains, it's not an automatic thing though.

Do move the log files onto another drive. It's good for DB availability and recoverability in the case of drive failure.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • see this link http://sqlserverpedia.com/wiki/Configuring_Database_Files_for_Optimal_Perfomance

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply