Multiple Fact Tables

• Hi,

I need to build a BI app for an E-Procurement system that has 6 facts (quotes, orders, invoices, etc.). Should I join all of these into a single fact table, or build separate ones? The end-users need to compare two o rmore facts (i.e. low long has it taken from quote to invoice?). Help is appreciated.

• You can use only one fact table, but you can create a view to join all the fact tables and use the view as a fact table in AS.

• I would go with the separate facts, merged into one in a view if required, based on the assumption that the fields related to each fact could and prob would change over time.

Steve.

• Hi. AS2K has many more options. The fact table design depends on the dimensions of each fact and its grain (detail). Grouping silimar facts together in one table is a good idea unless you update each fact at a different time. Make it easy on yourself and design the fact table around the nature of the data. Then you can make a virtual cube linking several cubes together along the shared dimensions.

You can also have a cube that has several partitions, each with its own fact table. Its a bit more work, but not much.

There are alot of options aside from the one big fact table.

William

• Have to agree to keep the fact tables separated and join all data using Virtual Cubes / Cube partitions.

• I would recommend checking out "The Data Warehouse Toolkit" by Ralph Kimball, (published by Wiley). This is an excellent resource for best practices in data warehousing.

• Thanks everyone! I believe I have the right vision now.

• As you can only have measures generated by the fact table I useually find that it's the measures I need that dictates which tables are Facts and which are split out into starts or flattened into the fact. I find it best to start with "What do I want to count/sum etc" rather than "which tables have I got" or "how do I want to break it down"

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

According to everyone I know I "do something with computers?" for a living, so there you go.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply