Multiple RETURNs in an SP

• In my project, I am having some SPs which is having multiple RETURN statements.

When i tried to implement the TRANSACTION in such SPs (i didnt not noticed that multiple RETURN statements), before my COMMIT statement, it is RETURNing , making an UNCOMMITTED transaction

And such problem could not be identified at parse time too, obviously.

Below are the example of my problem and my suspected solution too.

I wanted from you people this,

1. is it not the good practice to have multiple RETURN statements in an SP, or does it have any good purpose so that my ex-developers used it.

2. How about my suspecting solution?, is there any other good practice.

Appreciating your Helps.

--Problem

AS

BEGIN

BEGIN TRAN

/* Condition 1 */

RETURN

/* Condition 1 */

RETURN

/* Condition 1 */

RETURN

COMMIT TRAN

END

--Suspecting Solution.

CREATE PROC MySP

AS

BEGIN

BEGIN TRY

BEGIN TRAN

/* Condition 1 */

RAISERROR('ERROR',16,1)

/* Condition 1 */

RAISERROR('ERROR',16,1)

/* Condition 1 */

RAISERROR('ERROR',16,1)

COMMIT TRAN

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

ROLLBACK TRAN

END CATCH

END

• How are the Return statements being used? Are they returning error codes, or are they just aborting the procedure so no further code is run in it?

I generally avoid using Return, except in debugging. (Or in UDFs, but that's a different use.)

What fix is best will depend on how Return is being used.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• It is used Just to abort other scripts,

No codes are returned.

• Then what you probably want is Try Catch and Raiserror, like your proposed solution.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• each exit is going to need a commit:

IF @condition =1

BEGIN

--do stuff (like you said...either raise an error or commit.

COMMIT TRAN --RaisError?

RETURN

END

IF @condition =2

BEGIN

--do stuff

COMMIT TRAN --RaisError?

RETURN

END

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• The exits needing commits depends on what you're trying to do.

If a condition calls for rolling back on a failure, then raising an error, cutting over to the Catch block, and rolling back there, won't require a separate rollback/commit at all.

If the conditions are sequential instead of exclusive, then you don't need a commit at each one, just one at the end before the End Try statement.

It depends on what the specific code is designed to do.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply