Multivalue cascading parameters

• Hi Please help

I have two datasets in my report.

Dataset A has a list of cities

Dataset B has a list of towns

both datasets will populate the related multivalue parameters on the report.

now what I'm trying to get at is when a user makes a single selection on parameter A then parameter b will be populated with a list of towns in the selected city and if the user select two cities then parameter b should be populated accordingly.

This is what I tried:

Query A = Select Distinct City From Locations_Table

Query B = Select Distinct Town From Locations_Table Where City In (@City)

Now the problem is that when I run this report and make a single selection it works but when I make multiple selection I get an error:

Query execution failed for 'dataset b', Incorrect Syntax near ','.

Can someone please help...... I am not using any stored procedures for this report

• You would typically have a function which does this for you, however, this may be the cleanest/easiest solution if you want to utilize a report dataset. Make sure to set the parameter expression for the dataset to =Join(Parameters!<ParameterName>.value, ", ")

DECLARE @S varchar(max),

@Split char(1),

@X xml

SELECT @S = '1,2,3,4,5',

@Split = ','

SELECT @X = CONVERT(xml,'<root><s>' + REPLACE(@S,@Split,'</s><s>') + '</s></root>')

SELECT [Value] = T.c.value('.','varchar(20)')

FROM @X.nodes('/root/s') T(c)

Googling 'comma delimited string split rows sql server' will also provide you with many other techniques

• I'm not sure that this link exactly addresses your issue, but you might find it helpful.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply