My Error -- the column delimiter for column ... was not found.

• I am attempting to import a text file which is comma delimited and pipe (|) text qualifier I am getting the error the column delimiter for column "Sequence" was not found. This particular field is an integer (incremental field) because of this I changed the field data type to unicode text simular to the other fields thinking this would resolve my issue unfortunately it didn't.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Can you post some sample data from the file to know how it looks?

--Ramesh

• |John |,|Doe |,| |,| |,| |,| |,|275 Mystreet |,| |,|MyCity |,|PR|,|Postal|,|Code |,|4|

|Jane |,|Dollar |,| |,| |,| |,| |,|14 Her Street |,| |,|HerCity |,|PR|Postal|,|Code |,|5|

Above is a couple lines of the code with names city replaced

• Sorry not code data and the last numeric field is the Sequence field being referred to in the error

• Please post the error message.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Is the "Sequence" column the last column you have defined in your flat file connection? If so, you're short by 1 column since you have a trailing pipe at the end.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• Tim Mitchell (5/19/2009)

Is the "Sequence" column the last column you have defined in your flat file connection? If so, you're short by 1 column since you have a trailing pipe at the end.

Pipe is the text qualifier, not field delimiter, so I think it looks OK. Looks more like there is a discrepancy somewhere in data types between integer and string for the final field.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• You're right, I misread the OP's spec. Thanks.

ETL Best Practices

• Mark Fyffe (5/19/2009)

|John |,|Doe |,| |,| |,| |,| |,|275 Mystreet |,| |,|MyCity |,|PR|,|Postal|,|Code |,|4|

|Jane |,|Dollar |,| |,| |,| |,| |,|14 Her Street |,| |,|HerCity |,|PR|Postal|,|Code |,|5|

Above is a couple lines of the code with names city replaced

The file format looks okay to me, can you post the exact error message (screen shot if possible)?

--Ramesh

• Appreciate the responses guys I finally figured it out and feel a little dumb now I have the answer. Apparantly I had exported the file with an extra field and the SSIS package was not liking that. After I exported the file correctly the error vanished and my package ran properly. I guess I should have had two coffees yesterday -- thanks again for all your input.

Mark

• Glad it's working, thanks for the update.

ETL Best Practices

• Thank you for sharing!

This just solved my issue.

The client sent a csv file with additional columns that weren't in the other csv files. Essentially, the additional columns are not in our database.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply