My Favorite SSCer

• Maybe we should ask for a point/feedback system like the one on ExpertsExchange (assuming we can have the man power to employ it).

• David - just curious - do you pat yourself on the back regardless of feedbacks ?! That's a catch-22 right there - you know you can congratulate yourself because the poster has just thanked you for all the help but that means he has patted your back and you don't need to....<;-)

At any rate, as Remi would have it, it's a "moo point"...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• This has been talked about before but even those systems have issues. For instance, a new poster with no points/feedback with a valid point tends to get ignored. Also, as you've indicated, Remi, it also requires manpower. I know in the past one of the nixes against doing so was Andy, Brian Knight, and Steve only had so many hours to do things and the point/feedback system wasn't high on the priority list.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• bkelly, you are a better man than I offering to help Sufain if it appears he really needs help. Bad behaviors should not be acknowledged or rewarded. While it is always reasonable for reasonable men to disagree Sufian has not been engaging in this sort of dialog. Asking why something will or will not work is reasonable. After receiving an answer requesting clarification is reasonable as is asking additional questions bases on someone’s answer. (An answer of “because I said so’ has not worked for me since I was 2.)  But, asking for help then insulting those who try to help is incredibly rude and not acceptable behavior.

Life is much to short to waste time on someone with Sufain's mind set. 

Mike 

• Making ssc a better place is not a moo point Sushila.

bkelley. Let me rephrase that : takes a lot of man power. Each post has to be read and tested to see if the solution works. Now even if every poster can point to the working/not working solutions. That's still 1-2k posts/week to read/evaluate. This would require at least 2-3 full time employees, especially since noone is an expert in everything.

• Better a horse than an a$$

Not having been raised on a farm I have a lot of trouble telling the difference

• Amen!

• Ah, yes, that's more manpower than I was thinking of. I was thinking of just the coding effort to modify the forums. Very valid point.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• In the process of helping folks like this, others might also be helped. That's my philosophy. Also, if he gets genuinely helped once, perhaps his attitude will change. He's obviously willing to explore SQL Server. Perhaps that knowledge can be put to good use helping others rather than challenging folks.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I have always thought of this forum as a place where you help if you can and learn if you can't!! That is probably why I am always monitoring and recommending this site. I agree that if there are "points" or "votes" for posts it will detract from what has been one of the most helpful SQL sites I have every found.

• Now you kow why Expert Exchange has a monthly fee . Coding the thing is nothing compared to maintaining it.

• I agree with you up to a point. But I would like to suggest that a persons time is a very limited resource. You can use your time helping those who both need and appreciate your help or you can use your time trying to help a rude ingrate. I vote for the former.

• I agree with you Michael. If I have the time, I help those I can. And I do tend to prioritize based on who is most responsive. For instance, if I post a question asking for more info and the person gets back right away, then I'll be more likely to put more effort into them as they're putting the effort into trying to find a solution. But on the other hand, I'm not going to completely rule out someone who is rude just because of the rudeness. If I have time, I'll still try and help.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• This sounds facetious but isn't - sufian needs help in more ways than one...but on the ssc forums the only help requested is matters pertaining to sql server and it's all very well "turning the other cheek" when someone is repeatedly rude but only "upto a point"...retaliating to aggression with agression won't work but neither does helping someone who throws it back in your face everytime.....

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Hence the reason I'm not going to participate if it's a "do you know this? type of post. However, if anyone has a legitimate issue, and I have the time, I'll try to help. Remember, there are others besides the one rude individual who are impacted. Some of them are bound to be nice and indirectly when we help the rude one, we help that individual.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 158 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply