my ISP won''t open port 1433

• If they are worried about Slammer, this should serve as a rude awakening to them that they've got it all wrong:

Symantec write-up

McAfee write-up

F-Secure write-up

Study on why it spread so fast:

The Spread of the Sapphire/Slammer Worm

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Here's another one, from Cisco:

Cisco SAFE SQL Slammer Worm Attack Mitigation

This document contains the following statement:

The most effective method to contain this worm is the application of ingress and egress filters or access control lists (ACLs) blocking port 1434 UDP.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks Brian, and everyone else for your help on this issue.

I threw everything i had at them, and they won't open port 1433 tcp.  I submitted all the documentation above and explained how 1433 was not affected by slammer virus and at first they refused to open the email.  After a few minutes of arguing, i was able to get to a very helpful level 2 technician, and he took the documentation and went to the Administrator.  I don't think the admin even read it.  Didn't take but a few min for the level 2 to come back and tell me "no" again.

Their latest reason was that they just got hit in 3 school districts on port 1433 and that there is no way it be opened.

Unfortunately, they are the only ISP i can use.  So it seems like i'm going to have to move all clients into a dedicated|managed hosting solution so that i can use VPN to bypass the bureaucracy.

• Talk to the guys here at SSC. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply