MySQL - similar to MS SQL???

• I've been moonlighting and I have a client that is pretty interested in MySQL.  I'm hoping another MS SQL person out there who has seen the product can tell me whether or not it is similar enough to MS SQL that I will be able to stumble my way through DB design, views, function, procedure design, etc.

Because of ANSI standards I assume it should be no big deal - but comfirmation would be nice.  Development on MS SQL servers and AS400 (DB2) can be quite different, for instance.

Thanks.

Ryan

• MySQL verion 5 was just released on October 24, 2005 which includes Stored Procedures, Triggers and Views for the first time, there is very little experience with the compatability of these features to SQL Server.

As SQL Server uses TransAct/SQL for Stored Procedures and Triggers, which do not adhere to the SQL standard, but MySQL is using standard SQL, I will assume that the syntax will not be compatable just as you found between DB2 and SQL Server.

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• Try this URL:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/dpoole/alookatmysql.asp

It's about DTS but there are some MySql facts, seen from the point of view of SQLServer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply