Mysterious Backup Entries in Log

• 2008 R2 Instance

SQL Server Logs show that a full backup is occurring on each database at 10:30pm every night.

We have a Maintenance Plan the does a full backup on Friday at 8pm and another Plan that does a differential backup on every other day at 8pm.

There are no other Maintenance Plans or Agent Jobs.

Nothing related shows in the Windows Task Scheduler.

There are no related files that have a 10:30ish time stamp (including no backup files).

Any suggestions on where I should look next to find these backups and/or the script/process that is creating them?

• Any external program, not scheduled by SQL Server Agent, that does database backups?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• No external programs that I am aware of.

• Torin (9/17/2015)

2008 R2 Instance

SQL Server Logs show that a full backup is occurring on each database at 10:30pm every night.

We have a Maintenance Plan the does a full backup on Friday at 8pm and another Plan that does a differential backup on every other day at 8pm.

There are no other Maintenance Plans or Agent Jobs.

Nothing related shows in the Windows Task Scheduler.

There are no related files that have a 10:30ish time stamp (including no backup files).

Any suggestions on where I should look next to find these backups and/or the script/process that is creating them?

I have some ideas, but to confirm, can you run this script and post the results:

SELECT B.database_name,

--B.backup_set_id,

--B.media_set_id,

B.backup_finish_date,

B.type,

BF.physical_device_name,

BF.device_type

FROM msdb.dbo.backupset AS B

JOIN msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily AS BF

ON BF.media_set_id = B.media_set_id

AND BF.family_sequence_number BETWEEN B.first_family_number

AND B.last_family_number

WHERE B.is_copy_only = 0

AND B.type = 'D' -- FULL database backup

AND B.backup_finish_date > DATEADD(DAY, -7, GETDATE())

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Torin (9/17/2015)

No external programs that I am aware of.

Tape Backup? (which has an "Agent" to backup SQL databases)

• We use a hosted data center. It turns out that they had turned on the SQL backup functionality on their nightly backup system - so it was an external program after all.

By the way, thanks, Wayne, for the script. It is useful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply