Mystery auto "recovering"

• Recently, my organization put in a SAN. I migrated some of our data warehouse databases to it for testing, and also changed the server settings so that new databases would be created on the SAN.

On two occassions the following has happened:

I have been working with Enterprise Manager, and SQL Server has greyed out 1 database and said "Recovering." Both occasions involved a the same database, but the second occasion has involved another one. Both of these databases are very low use, and were not in use when the status changed.

A quick search of the logs did not indicate anything. I'm worried that SQL Server will do this to a production database when its in use. Does it have anything to do with the SAN? What can I check? What caused this? What is "really" going on when it is "recovering?"

I'm using SQL 2k Enterprise edition running on Win2k servers.

Thanks for your help.

Chris.

Chris.

• Stop the server and restarted with sqlservr.exe from the command line, and post here anything unusual you find.

• Will do - but I can't until tonight.

Something additional to note - write caching was enabled on the SAN drive assigned to the SQL server. I had that disabled.

Chris.

Chris.

• Well that could be the origin of the problem...Hope it won't happend again.

• Recovery is when SQL is going through the process of committing or rolling back transactions that were open when SQL was shut down (or the db closed I guess). The SAN isn't magic, just a lot of expensive storage. Only reason for recovery to occur is if SQL is restarting - so the service failed, maybe the SAN dropped, cluster failed over, etc. I'd look at the sql error log, the event log, see what you find there.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply