Mystery Backups???

• Hi All,

I've recently "inherited" a server which is not heavily used but has a small mystery attached (Naturally, no-one knows anything about it!!).

The server has Maintenance Plan history for the databases.

There are no visible plans or jobs and no records of them in the relevant tables in the MSDB.

The jobs do run!!!

It does not have any linked / remote servers.

It does not appear to be a Target server (is there any devious way to check?)

SQL Server Agent does not start - gives an RPC error - but RPC appears to be running ok.

Any ideas from the guru's out there? How would I trace the origin of the Maintenance Plan? Any obvious thing that I'm missing? All advice welcome!

The Aethyr Dragon

Cape Town
    RSA

• Are there any Scheduled Tasks on the server that may be running these jobs?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• If SQLAgent service was not running, the jobs cannot be ran. There must be some applications start the SPs.

Check the plan history when the plan was running, and start profiler to trace it.

SELECT * FROM msdb..sysdbmaintplan_history

To check jobs owned by target servers (check Originating _server column):

SELECT * FROM msdb..sysjobs

• Why not forget about the mystery stuff.....move the db's to a clean server.  scrub the dodgy one and swop the clean one back in.  I know solving problems is great....but sometimes a full blown mousehunt is more expensive than a mousetrap.

• You may want to take a look at the application that uses the databas. Maybe there are administrative functions within the application (we just found one that did DBREINDEX and DBCC SHRINKFILE - the code was buried in an XML file that was part of the application).

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Hi Guys,

Thanx for all the advice / info. I'll be looking into a lot of it as soon as I can get a login for the machine. (Remote administration across domains / continents .......)

Will let everyone know when I eventually find out what the story is.

Tx

The Aethyr Dragon

Cape Town
    RSA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply