Navigation to reports - Works in Visual Studio, but not in Reporting Services

• Ive got buttons on the main report screen. In Properties.... Navigation I jump to report e.g. A

This report has a parameter @Title

I base this parameter on a distinct list of titles.

When I test in in Visual Studio it works fine and I can navigate back and forwards.

When I deploy and check it in Reporting services I get the error

'The 'Title' parameter is missing a value'

Because It works fine in Visual Studio Im not sure how to sort out this one. It does the same thing when I navigate to any report that uses parameters

• BTW in the top report via properties to the text box I have also added the title parameter in navigation =Count(Fields!Title.Value, "DATA_QUALITY_OVERVIEW_TOTALS_AND_PERCENTAGES")

This also works in Visual studio so again I cant see any reason why it doesnt work after being deployed :blink:

Debbie

• sounds odd...

if you open the rdl that you are deploying in a text editor and compare it to the rdl that you are using in VS (in your projects folder), are they identical?

• Sorted. I thought it was because the underlying report with the parameter was using a different dataset. The main report at the top is just a report with text boxes that you can navigate to the reports from.

I added the dataset to the top level report and selected this in the navigation box. It kind of worked but not in the way I want. The main report contained a parameter that you have to choose to get into the report. This was because the dataset I copied into main had a parameter. So I took the parameter out.

It now works with this as the parameter value

=First(Fields!Title.Value, "DATA_QUALITY_OVERVIEW_TOTALS_AND_PERCENTAGES_SYSTEM")

So if the underlying table comes from a different dataset completely with a parameter. Copy the code into the top level report taking out the paramter and choosing the dataset in parameters.

• I spoke too soon. Its now only displaying the first 'Title' when you go into the lower level report instead of giving you the drop down box to select the title from.

Im guessing this is because Im using =First(Fields!Title.Value, "DATA_QUALITY_OVERVIEW_TOTALS_AND_PERCENTAGES_SYSTEM") but there isnt anything else to choose from.

I think the issue is I want to select the parameter @Title when Im in to the report. I dont want to select it at the top level and drill down to just see the title Ive selected on the main screen.

• Hi,

May I know which version of Reporting Serverices you are using? This will work on SSRS 2005 SP2 and not in the SSRS 2005 SP1.

Please look into this and update me.

Venkatarman M

Photon Infotech

• That definitely looks like a dataset issue.

I run into problems like that all the time, when i've assigned a dataset to a table, remove it, and apply a new one.

The fact that you are dragging your fields into the textbox, and it is displaying "=First(" is saying there is another dataset on that textbox.

This is what I'd do...

Quick test, back up your rdl, add it again to your report. remove the table or textbox thats causing the problem. refresh your dataset, add another table with bare minimum fields from your existing ds... run the report...

if it works - you know it's an issue with binding your ds to your table\textbox.

• Im working in 5.1.2600 Service pack 2 so it should be OK.

OK I copied the rdl as a backup copy.

I tested it again and it works fine when I go across to preview (No parameter required in navagation) I went across to the browser but again it didnt work.

I removed the textbox that navigates to the parameterised report and refreshed the dataset

I added a table with time with the title column from the dataset that is used for the report I want to jump too. I wasnt sure of your instructions at this point so I put navagation on the column to go to the report.

=Fields!Title.Value.

It works again fine in preview so I then deploy.Try it again but still get the error 'The 'Title' parameter is missing a value '

As an extra test I go back to the navigation and add the parameter Title =Fields!Title.Value. Deploy and test again. This time it brings the report up but again you cant choose another title from the list box at the top as it isnt their any more.

I try a third test and go back to the navigation, leave parameter name as title and take out the value. Deploy and 'The 'Title' parameter is missing a value'

I dont want the top report to have a parameter on it at all. I just want to call the report as it so then I can choose a parameter.

Because its doing exactly the same as my original text box I have gone back to the original report.

The top report is only calling other reports with different datasets used on each.

:unsure:

if it works - you know it's an issue with binding your ds to your table\textbox.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply