Need a script to audit the DDL & DML events for SQL server 2000

• Hi,

I want to generate a report at the end of the month to see what all activities have been performed on my databases. I am looking for a script which will help me generate this report. The report should contain details like operation performed, date, time, username,database name , etc.

I checked it with Profiler but since it is an overhead on performance, thought of checking for a script. This can be done by Triggers but I have not used it earlier. Can someone help me out?

Thanks in Advance

----------------------------------------------------------------
    **"There is only one difference between dream and aim. Dream requires Soundless sleep to see…Where as Aim Requires Sleepless Efforts to Achieve":-) **

• I haven't received any reply yet. Can someone help me out urgently?

Thanks.

**"There is only one difference between dream and aim. Dream requires Soundless sleep to see…Where as Aim Requires Sleepless Efforts to Achieve":-) **

• This is a forum, not a chat room. Be patient.

On SQL 2000, the only way to get all DDL and DML statements is to use a trace. Not profiler, too much overhead, use a server-side trace.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Are you refering to Perfmon? If not then please provide me the details on server side trace.

• sqlserverdba.dba (2/26/2009)

Are you refering to Perfmon?

No. Perfmon is a windows tool. I'm referring to SQL Profiler and the stored procs that it uses.

If not then please provide me the details on server side trace.

Check books online, the section titled "Creating and Managing Traces and Templates" Specifically towards the bottom where the various stored procs are described.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Thanks. But i need to run it on on-going basis. Will this not cause an overhead on performance if I run daily?

Thanks

• sqlserverdba.dba (2/27/2009)

Thanks. But i need to run it on on-going basis. Will this not cause an overhead on performance if I run daily?

Not if you do it properly. Server-side trace to a fast disk that is not used for any database files, a minimal number of events, a minimal number of columns.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply