Need advice with respect to interview preperation

• Hi,

Not very sure if this will be entirely ethical but with so many knowledgeable people around I found the lure too tempting to refuse, to seek some advice/guidance.....apology in advance..:-)

Basically from a client server background I moved into SQL Server DBA domain around 4 years back...and since then, did quite well...with no one to help around. However, due to the very nature of my project (service oriented) there had been (and still now) very little scope to go beyond the TSQL development (and very infrequent performance issues) activities. I really want to acquire insight into the internals and other aspects but believe not much is in offerings in my current project.

I would like to move to a new role, preferably onto a mid to senior position...and would really appreciate any advice on which areas I shall focus more on to equip myself to face the interviews. I personally dislike the very idea of preparing for interviews, but I do not have much time in hand....I believe if I can move onto a more senior position, I might be able to pursue my dream of acquiring deep knowledge in the entire domain......well at least some part....as it's really a vast ocean of knowledge out there.

Thanks and regards

• Kaushik Majumder (2/17/2010)

Hi,

Not very sure if this will be entirely ethical but with so many knowledgeable people around I found the lure too tempting to refuse, to seek some advice/guidance.....apology in advance..:-)

Basically from a client server background I moved into SQL Server DBA domain around 4 years back...and since then, did quite well...with no one to help around. However, due to the very nature of my project (service oriented) there had been (and still now) very little scope to go beyond the TSQL development (and very infrequent performance issues) activities. I really want to acquire insight into the internals and other aspects but believe not much is in offerings in my current project.

I would like to move to a new role, preferably onto a mid to senior position...and would really appreciate any advice on which areas I shall focus more on to equip myself to face the interviews. I personally dislike the very idea of preparing for interviews, but I do not have much time in hand....I believe if I can move onto a more senior position, I might be able to pursue my dream of acquiring deep knowledge in the entire domain......well at least some part....as it's really a vast ocean of knowledge out there.

Thanks and regards

With or without the Sr. Position you can acquire that knowledge. Typically a Senior Position is for those that have already demonstrated a knowledge base akin to the position. If you want to learn more, or get into different projects - then do so. Part of a Senior Position is initiative and problem solving. If there is a project you think you might want to tackle - do it. Make up a project that will better both you and your employer. Once you have done that, highlight that in your interviews and resume (CV).

As for the interview part. You should speak to what you know. If you know how to learn something - express it. If a question is asked about something you don't know - admit it, and then tell them how you might go about learning it. Most importantly - BE Honest. Good interviewers can see through the fluff and can discern when you crammed for the interview only.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thank you so much. I appreciate your views...and solely believe being honest is the best stepping stone to start on.

Regards

I would like to move to a new role, preferably onto a mid to senior position...and would really appreciate any advice on which areas I shall focus more on to equip myself to face the interviews. I personally dislike the very idea of preparing for interviews, but I do not have much time in hand....

I'll give you my general advice on interviews

Don't exaggerate your skills. If you're only familiar with something, don't say you're an expert. You may be required to prove that statement later.

Don't memorise questions. Good interviewers can tell.

Be honest. If you're not sure it's ethical, it probably isn't.

Don't panic.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Thank you so much. I appreciate your views...and solely believe being honest is the best stepping stone to start on.

Regards

You're welcome.

Learn Extended Events

• Thanks Gail, I've seen your replies and comments in other posts, and I do really appreciate.

Regards.

• You can gain knowledge outside your work requirement by using a local version of sql for learning, or setting up a test database on a test server. There you can try replication, log shipping, backup restore, ssis .....

Read some of the problems people have here, and try to find the answers.

• Thanks for the guidance. I have done most of those on a test scenario .. but unless put into a real life scenario, I am not tested properly..:-)

Regards

• Kaushik Majumder (2/18/2010)

Thanks for the guidance. I have done most of those on a test scenario .. but unless put into a real life scenario, I am not tested properly..:-)

Regards

Just state it as such in an interview - if you have practiced a principle in a dev environment but not in prod - you practiced it. You can use it in an interview when done in the proper context.

Learn Extended Events

• I'd say the thing to do is look for companies hiring a junior DBA position. Trying to get a senior position in order to learn senior skills is backwards. Find a company that has a senior DBA and is looking to add a second person to the team. That'll be better for learning.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (2/18/2010)

I'd say the thing to do is look for companies hiring a junior DBA position. Trying to get a senior position in order to learn senior skills is backwards. Find a company that has a senior DBA and is looking to add a second person to the team. That'll be better for learning.

I think that is great advice.

CEWII

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply