need help with autoincrementing an int column

• Hello All,

I am trying to do an insert into a table that has an int data type with not null. Unfortunately it is not an identity column and I am not supposed to change the DDL for this table . The table has 5 records now and the current value for this column is 5. I need to do an insert starting from the next number which is 6 and I am going to insert 900 records. Is there a way that I can autoincrement it while doing the inserts?

Thanks for your help guys.

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

• You could build the data up including a row_number function adding 5 so that it starts from 6 and ends at 905.

INSERT INTO

sometable

SELECT

ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY intcoloumn ) + 5 AS ID,

Col1,

Col2

FROM

someothertable

• Thanks for the reply Anthony. But I got the below error:

Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the subquery is used as an expression.

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

• Can you provide table deffinition and sample data and your query?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I am using an ssis package to do the insert. The query I am using is as below:

OLEDB Source with following code:

SELECT (SELECT

ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY ID ) + 5 FROM dbo.Accounts) AS ID

,cast(SiteID as int)AS SiteID,cast(substring(SLXID,1,12) as nvarchar(12)) AS SLXID,cast(substring(PK90ID,1,10) as nvarchar(10)) AS PK90ID,

NULL AS [AccountName]

,'2012-01-01 00:00:00.000' AS [Date]

,1 AS [ProductID]

,NULL AS [License]

,NULL AS [CancelOnDate] FROM sourcetable

The destination table definition:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Accounts](

[ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[SiteID] [int] NULL,

[SLXID] [nvarchar](12) NULL,

[PK90ID] [nvarchar](10) NULL,

[AccountName] [nvarchar](128) NULL,

[Date] [datetime] NULL,

[ProductID] [int] NULL,

[License] [nvarchar](19) NULL,

[CancelOnDate] [datetime] NULL

CONSTRAINT [PK_Accounts] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[ID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

• whats the definition of the source table?

• Anthony Looking at the DDL of the destination the ID column appears to be identity column.

• My Bad.

• For arguments sake, I suspect this is the sort of thing you were looking for: -

SELECT

ROW_NUMBER() (ORDER BY (SELECT NULL)) + b.idSeed

cast(SiteID AS INT) AS SiteID,

cast(substring(SLXID, 1, 12) AS NVARCHAR(12)) AS SLXID,

cast(substring(PK90ID, 1, 10) AS NVARCHAR(10)) AS PK90ID,

NULL AS [AccountName],

'2012-01-01 00:00:00.000' AS [Date], 1 AS [ProductID],

NULL AS [License], NULL AS [CancelOnDate]

FROM sourcetable

CROSS APPLY (SELECT MAX(ID)

FROM Accounts) b(idSeed)

However, as you pointed out, it seems your non-identity column is in fact an identity column 😛

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• anthony.green (6/13/2012)

whats the definition of the source table?

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[sourcetable](

[SiteID] [numeric](18, 0) NULL,

[SLXID] [varchar](50) NULL,

[PK90ID] [varchar](8000) NULL,

[ChannelID] [int] NULL,

[PlanCalls] [int] NULL,

[Monthly$] [money] NULL,

[OverageRate] [money] NULL,

[Activate] [varchar](50) NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

GO

The issue is I dont have a ID column in the source table to map it in the destination table. Even If i alter the ddl of the source table and add an identity column when I run the package it will error out becuase the identity's wont match. Hence I want to pick the value from the destination table for the ID column and autoincrement it every time the insert happens. Your script is returning multiple values at a time and hence I am not able to do an insert..

Thanks.

• But the table has an identity column so you dont need to do the row_number() + 5.

If it didnt have an identity and you dont have an identity on the source table you would want to look at Cadavre's solution in doing ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY (SELECT NULL)) and cross applying the destination table with its max ID.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply