Need help with calculation desperately!

• Adam Haines (3/27/2008)

Matt, can you use over with the sum of a calculation? I have never tried, but I believe the over is used for deterministic columns. Like I said before I haven't tried.

To the OP the group by, cross apply, or derived table method will definitely work.

I'm not sure if I fully understand the question. If you're looking at:

sum(value) OVER (partition by GroupID)

GroupID must be a column (or a column list) pulled out of the FROM tables, and cannot be a direct calculation. Of course - that just means you could "hide" any calculations in a sub-query.

However, I am not aware of any limitations on what would end up in the "value" spot. The VALUE could be any bizarre calculation you can think of, deterministic or not. Non-deterministic might be ugly, since your query would return a different result each time, but it would run.

does that answer it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• does that answer it?

Not quite.

Basically the question is can you put this into over().

sum(werksmassFM / (Sum_Lmenge.SumCol/ls.lmenge)* p_transpreis)

• This runs:

drop table #mytemptest

go

create table #mytemptest (id int identity(1,1) primary key clustered,

groupid int,

amt1 numeric(18,4),

amt2 numeric(18,4),

amt3 numeric(18,4),

amt4 numeric(18,4))

go

insert #mytemptest (groupid, amt1, amt2,amt3,amt4)

select top 10000 rand(checksum(newid()))*40,

rand(checksum(newid()))*400,

rand(checksum(newid()))

from sys.all_columns sc1, sys.all_columns sc2

go

select *,

sum(amt1/(amt2/amt3)*amt4) OVER() as tot,

sum(amt1/(amt2/amt3)*amt4) OVER(PARTITION by GROUPID) as Grouptot,

(sum(amt1/(amt2/amt3)*amt4) OVER(PARTITION by GROUPID))

/(sum(amt1/(amt2/amt3)*amt4) OVER()) as GroupPerctot

from #mytemptest

The only new requirement I can see seem to be on what goes in the OVER() clause. If you could put it into a SUM() before, looks to me that you can put it into a SUM() OVER().

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Thanks for doing the legwork :). I have been learning a lot of new stuff, in the past few days 😀

• Adam Haines (3/27/2008)

Thanks for doing the legwork :). I have been learning a lot of new stuff, in the past few days 😀

Notice I just said "it runs", and not "it runs...well". Not so sure it's all that great on performance. May be time to do some "compare and contrast" testing: this smells a bit of too much going on in one single query. Will need to check over the exec plan "in my spare time"...

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply