need help with db that keeps history

• sushila,

"1) Your objectID is not useful at all...you should use docID, AddressID etc. since this is the only ID that uniquely identifies your rows."

What I was thinking of doing is storing tblDocument.ID, tblAddress.ID, tblContact.ID, tblStore.ID etc in the tblStatus.ObjectID. So I think you and I are in the same frame of mind here. I just named it ObjectID to be generic.

"2) From what I can understand - there are 3 actions that can be performed - insert, update and delete..."

those are the most common part. I am going to put all the other actions in this list also such as: "FROM FINANCE TO LEGAL" to keep track of when a document goes from finance to legal, "VERIFIED" for when a document is looked over and verified, "APPROVED" for when an application is approved, "NEW ARRIVAL" for when a new employee is hired, "FROM LEGAL TO FINANCE" etc. So there will be a lookup table with all these and the user clicks on the proper button to perform the corresponding action. what do you think of this idea?

"a) when inserted, it is a brand new record so the status is ACTIVE (??) - in this case you don't do anything - just mark it as ACTIVE

b) when modified it becomes MODIFY (now this can happen several times over a period of time - right ??) - each time, you repeat the contents of the entire row to preserve history.

c) when deleted - you don't really do anything - just mark it as INACTIVE or DELETED ?!"

when inserted, ex:

tblContact

ID   storeID   FirstName   LastName   Title

10   99          john          doe           owner

in tblStatus there will be an entry like:

tblStatus

ID   ObjectID     UserID    ActionID     Date

so if its modified by user 100 then:

tblContact

11   99          jane          doe           owner

tblStatus

x     11             100        MODIFY     7/2/05

so when its delete by user 100 then:

tblContact

11   99          jane          doe           owner

12   99          jane          doe           owner

tblStatus

x     11             100        MODIFY     7/2/05

x     12             100        DELETE      7/5/05

so when a user searches for contact history for a store (id = 99) then they will see:

ID   storeID   FirstName   LastName   Title      ActionID    Date

11   99          jane          doe           owner   MODIFY     7/2/05

12   99          jane          doe           owner   DELETE      7/5/05

I outer join tblContact.ID to tblStatus.ObjectID. Also ActionID will really have the ID of those actions. I put the action description of the actions here to be clear. Also the default view would be to show last to first.

"4) You could have a lookup for status and table list as described in my first response - and this could be used to keep track of all the deleted records from each table - for when you delete something you don't have to repeat the contents of the entire row just to mark it as INACTIVE - thus you could have a deletedRecords table (or some such) that would have (eg: documents table) - docID, TableID, UserID, DeletedDate"

I think i will need to re-copy the row contents for the delete as it will be treated as a modify but with a different action. also if I dont repeat the contents then and just update the modify to delete then i will loose the last time it was modified. The main thing i am trying to do is not have to have a status field(ACTIVE/INACTIVE) in every table and use the tblStatus for all action status's.

"f this doesn't cover everything, could you please post:"

i think this kind of covers everthing. I really appriciate all the suggestions and help you have given me. Your ideas + co-workers + very little from me + writing out all the responses has helped me flush out the design pretty good.

i thank you for all the time you put in to help me.

• "So there will be a lookup table with all these and the user clicks on the proper button to perform the corresponding action. what do you think of this idea?"...

sound idea!

"also if I dont repeat the contents then and just update the modify to delete then i will loose the last time it was modified."...

Tarique - I think there was a disconnect here...I was suggesting you keep a separate "deleted table" that would have objectID, tableID, UserID, DeletedDate instead of repeating the contents of the row....

-

NOT "modify the update to delete"...for that won't give you your history preservation...

Let me know if you have any more questions - s

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Thank you for all your help and ideas.

"Tarique - I think there was a disconnect here...I was suggesting you keep a separate "deleted table" that would have objectID, tableID, UserID, DeletedDate instead of repeating the contents of the row...."

I think thats a great idea! i will implement that. Thankx.

I am going to write up the documents to show legal and finance. Hopefully you have helped me flush out everything.

thanx again.

• Anytime Tarique...I enjoyed the challenge of thinking it out...it was fun!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply