Need help with differential backup restore

• Hi,

Please advice if i am following the right method. I first did a FULL backup of my database. Then i made some changes to the tables. Now i took a differential backup of the database after the changes were made.

RESTORE:

1. First i restored the FULL backup of DB.

2. Then i wanted to restore the DIFFERENTIAL BACKUP of the DB. It gave me an error saying,

-- ODBC SQLState: 42000

"The preceding restore operation did not specify WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY. Restart the Restore sequence, specifying WITH NO RECOVERY or WITH STANDBY for all but the final step.

Restore database is terminating abnormally"

Do i need to restore the full backup using T-sql commands, specifying WITH NORECOVERY or NO STANDBY? Please suggest me what i need to do

• Yes, when restoring the full backup you will need to specify either the NoRecovery or Standby option, leaving the database in a state that further differential (or log) backups can be restored to it.

I'd recommend the NoRecovery option for the vast majority of circumstances: only use Standby if you need the restored database to be accessible (NB. read-only) in between restores because it can take much longer.

• Thanks a lot...i understood what is the difference..and it worked just fine now :D:)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply