Need help with IF subquery in a Select statement

• I have my script below and error found on the IF statement in the subquery and I don't what syntax went worng Can sombody help? Thanks.

SELECT

RptBilling.ItemType,

Patient.PatientLN

Programs.ProgramDescription,

ARBatches.ARBatch,

Patient.PatientFN,

RptBilling.BillPatientID,

IF BillFormats.BillFormatDescription IS NULL Then(Select BillFormats1.BillFormatDescription

FROM RptBilling RptBilling1 INNER JOIN BillPatients BillPatients1

ON RptBilling1.BillPatientID = BillPatients1.BillPatientID

INNER JOIN BillPatients BillPatients ON BillPatients.BillPatientID = BillPatients1.BillPatientID

INNER JOIN BTI.PatFundSource PatFundSource1

ON BillPatients1.PatFundSourceID = PatFundSource1.PatFundSourceID

INNER JOIN BTI.ReimbPlans ReimbPlans1

ON PatFundSource1.ReimbPlansID = ReimbPlans1.ReimbPlansID

INNER JOIN BTI.BillFormats BillFormats1 ON ReimbPlans1.BillFormatID = BillFormats1.BillFormatID

Where BillPatients.BillPatientID = BillPatients1.BillPatientID AND BillFormats.BillFormatDescription IS NULL

)END,

ElecFormats.ElecFormatDescription

FROM (((BTI.RptBilling RptBilling INNER JOIN BTI.ARBatches ARBatches ON RptBilling.ARBatchID=ARBatches.ARBatchID) INNER JOIN BTI.PatAdmissions PatAdmissions

ON RptBilling.AdmissionID=PatAdmissions.AdmissionID) INNER JOIN BTI.Patient Patient ON PatAdmissions.PatientID=Patient.PatientID) INNER JOIN

BTI.Programs Programs ON PatAdmissions.ProgramID=Programs.ProgramID INNER JOIN BTI.BillPatients BillPatients ON RptBilling.BillPatientID = BillPatients.BillPatientID

LEFT OUTER JOIN BTI.ReimbplanPaperFormats ReimbplanPaperFormats ON BillPatients.ReimbPlanPaperFormatID = ReimbPlanPaperFormats.ReimbPlanPaperFormatID LEFT OUTER JOIN

BTI.BillFormats BillFormats ON ReimbPlanPaperFormats.BillFormatID = BillFormats.BillFormatID LEFT OUTER JOIN BTI.ReimbplanElecFormats ReimbplanElecFormats

ON BillPatients.ReimbPlanElecFormatID = ReimbPlanElecFormats.ReimbPlanElecFormatID LEFT OUTER JOIN

BTI.ElecFormats ElecFormats ON ReimbPlanElecFormats.ElecFormatID = ElecFormats.ElecFormatID

• IF statements in SQL typically look like this

IF (some condition)

Begin

(some code)

End

No THEN. 

• You can't use the IF inline like that. Replace that line with:

CASE WHEN BillFormats.BillFormatDescription IS NULL THEN (Select BillFormats1.BillFormatDescription

INNER JOIN BillPatients BillPatients ON BillPatients.BillPatientID = BillPatients1.BillPatientID

INNER JOIN BTI.BillFormats BillFormats1 ON ReimbPlans1.BillFormatID = BillFormats1.BillFormatID

Where BillPatients.BillPatientID = BillPatients1.BillPatientID AND BillFormats.BillFormatDescription IS NULL

) END,

• Good point, David.  My eyes went straight to the IF and caught the first problem I saw, and I didn't really look around it.

• I ran the query with the case statement and it returned a "multiple rows error" How can I return the single BillFormats1.BillFormatDescription row value where the (subquery) BillPatients1.BillllpatientID = (Mainquery) BillPatients.BillpatientID ? Please advise.Thanks.

• It'd be really difficult to figure out why you're getting multiple rows unless you post sample data from each of the tables etc..

You'd trace this quicker if you just ran your select in QA - use a process of elimination and see what results you get each time you join to a table - also, it looks like you have a redundant join on your BillPatients table...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Usually, if you need to limit results in a subselect, you either want to use a "DISTINCT" or a "TOP 1" in your subquery.  Your statement might look like:

Select DISTINCT BillFormats1.BillFormatDescription

The trouble with using a "TOP 1" to limit your data returned is that you may not get the particular value you are looking for.  The challenge with a "DISTINCT" is that you may still return multiple rows.  Try running the subselect by itself and look at the data it returns to decide how to best approach this problem.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply