need querry to omit the tables under the system tables in the msdb.

• i need a sql querry that will return all the table names listed under the msdb database that are not listed under the system tables in the msdb db.

Some examples of the system tables in the msdb that i DO NOT WANT RETURNED are sysjobhistory, sysdtspackages. Before you move forward the sysjobhistory and sysdtspackages tables are not true system tables meaning their returned when u run the below. Their ISUserTable = U. Which is why i dont know how to omit them from my querry.

SELECT * FROM dbo.sysobjects

WHERE OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsUserTable') = 1

• That's because they are classified user tables. Try

WHERE OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsMSShipped') = 0

If that doesn't work, can you explain what tables you do what to see and what tables you don't want to see?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Are you trying to distinguish between system tables and tables added by someone else?

Unless you or someone else creates a table in msdb, they are all system tables. Unless I'm missing something.

Converting oxygen into carbon dioxide, since 1955.
  • Steve Cullen (2/9/2010)

Unless you or someone else creates a table in msdb, they are all system tables. Unless I'm missing something.

The tables in MSDB are not classified system tables (other than the ones like sysrscols, etc, which are true hidden system tables)

SELECT name, type_desc FROM sys.tables

WHERE name LIKE 'sysjob%'

name type_desc

-------------------- -------------------------

sysjobhistory USER_TABLE

sysjobs USER_TABLE

sysjobservers USER_TABLE

sysjobactivity USER_TABLE

sysjobsteps USER_TABLE

sysjobstepslogs USER_TABLE

sysjobschedules USER_TABLE

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • i've attached a more descriptive doc of what i'm looking for w/ screen shots. Forgive me but i dont know how to manipulate these forum posts vary well. The attached is a word doc called "example.doc"

• sorry for the ambiguity

• So i had the whole proces built then found later that those unwanted tables are being returned and i'm having a bear of a time fionding a way to isolate them so i can omit them. My boss thinks i will have to hard code it to omit them however i know that cant be the case. there must be some way of isolating these tables so i can omit them in my result sets.

• =======================================================================

That's because they are classified user tables. Try

WHERE OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsMSShipped') = 0

If that doesn't work, can you explain what tables you do what to see and what tables you don't want to see?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gail Shaw

==========================================================================

Funny that's how i coded it originally and it worked for most of the sql instances but not for all. Hence here i am trying to find a resolution.

• from what i can tell there's nothing in the sys.tables nor sysobjects that flags these tables.

• this was resolved....

=====================================================================

SELECT name

FROM sys.tables t

WHERE t.is_ms_shipped = 0

AND object_ID NOT IN ( SELECT major_ID

FROM sys.extended_properties

WHERE minor_id = 0

AND minor_id = 0

AND class = 1

AND name = N'microsoft_database_tools_support' )

======================================================================

i thought i finally stumped the sql server central gurus.

However it appears "J-F Bergeron" has come up w/ the solution. Not exactly sure yet how yet however, it appears to be returning the proper tables so far. Nice work. It appears i have some more learning to do in refference to extended properties and what all it offers.

Excellent work J-F Bergeron!!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply