need sequence in datetime

• I am creating a table and I want sequential date ..ist possible?

create table daysinfo(

COMM1 datetime)

insert into daysinfo values('1-05-2011')

where 1 is day,05 month.

and i want next date like (dont want to use insert)

1-05-2011

2-05-2011

3-05-2011

ist possible if we want daily attendance system and need all dates ?...i thought about many approach but please suggest some easy one

• Whats the significance of the data format, if you could format the same while showing in the front end using convert method?

• You might want to search this site for "calendar table" or you could have a look at the tally table article referenced in my signature (at the end there's an example on howto build a calendar table).

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• I’m not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish but if you are looking for a script to automatically populate dates into a table I created and example below. It takes a Year as input and populates the table with all the dates in the year.

If you are tracking daily attendance it may be useful to identify whether the date is a Weekend or a Holiday. I would also add an Identity column because to complete the relationship between Person and Attendance Date you will need some type of Cross Reference table to establish a Many-To-Many relationship that stores the PersonId and DaysInfoId so that you can track the attendance.

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @Year AS INT

DECLARE @StartDate AS DATE

DECLARE @IsWeekend AS BIT

SET @Year = 2012

SET @StartDate = CAST( '1/1/' + CAST(@Year AS CHAR(4)) AS DATE)

WHILE(DATEPART(YYYY, @StartDate) = @Year)

BEGIN

SELECT @IsWeekend = CASE

WHEN DATEPART(WEEKDAY, @StartDate) IN (7, 1)

THEN 1

ELSE 0

END

PRINT CAST(@StartDate AS VARCHAR) + ' IsWeekend: ' + CAST(@IsWeekend AS CHAR)

IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT COMM1 FROM daysinfo WHERE COMM1 = @StartDate)

BEGIN

INSERT INTO daysinfo (COMM1, IsWeekend) VALUES(@StartDate,@IsWeekend)

END

SET @StartDate = DATEADD(DD, 1, @StartDate)

END

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply