Need some help. A question about which book I should get!

• Hey there.

I am a recent grad with my major being Network/System administrator. I never learned SQL in school but many people say I should learn how to install it and run it from an administrators point of view. I know nothing about SQL and was wondering if maybe somebody here could help me choose on a book or 2 about administering SQL server. I guess I need to know a bit about everything. Installing, adding users, backup and I dunno whatever else I would need to know. So if somebody could be so kind to mention a few good books or some books that helped them, it would greatly help me.

Thanks

• My partner, Brian Knight, wrote a nice one called Admin 911, I'd also say that if you're interested in how and why the server works, Inside SQL Server 2000 by Kalen Delaney is one of the best ones out there. Haven't really read most of the others, though I did like the Spenik and Sledge text for v6.5. They have an updated one for 2000 that I haven't read: MS SQL Server 2000 DBA Survival Guide.

They're all listed at:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/books/books.asp?categoryid=2&categorynm=SQL+Server+2000

• Ok thanks. I will look into those. Are those for administering the SQL server or just basics about SQL server? Also is there a differance from MS SQL and MySQL? Like if I read about MSSQL will I know a bit about MYSQL?

Thanks

• Well after looking thru the books I saw Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Administrator's Companion and it looks good. It has a 5 star rating so would it be a good book to choose? Any imput would be great!

Thanks

• As far as porting knowledge from MSSQL to MySQL, the language that you use to code and work with data is very similar. Structured Query Language is similar from DBMS to DBMS. Each DBMS will have additional features and some differences. As far as administering a system, there will be huge differences. For example, MySQL does not support stored procedures. Also, the tools that you use to manage the systems will be very different.

• I needed a separate book for mysql. Luckily the online manual is very good and free to download. you can also buy it in print. So far it has had what I needed for administering.

There are differences in the way you would architect the tables for performance that you will definitely want to know about.

For sql server after two years Delany's book is falling apart but I still use it. The ms administrators guide is missing. It is really high level. Delany's book has a lot of detail but worth the time to understand. (in my opinion)

• Well thanks for all your replies. I am going to go out tomorrow and get 2 books. Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply