Need T-SQL to list tables by Parent, Dependent, Descendent, etc

• Looking for T-SQLto list my tables in a single database in hierarchical fashion.. with all PARENT tables 1st, followed by all dependants, then all descendants, etc..

eg.

Corporation_Table

Branch_Table

Division_Table

Department_Table

Employee_Table

thx in advance

BT
  • Hi,

if you know one parent table you can get all dependencies with the attached script (captured from sql server profiler). (the parent table is in line 15)

Maybe it helps as a starting point.

• DBASkippack (4/6/2009)

Looking for T-SQLto list my tables in a single database in hierarchical fashion.. with all PARENT tables 1st, followed by all dependants, then all descendants, etc..

eg.

Corporation_Table

Branch_Table

Division_Table

Department_Table

Employee_Table

thx in advance

Probably a silly question but have to make sure... Do you have DRI setup across all of these table that identifies the parent/child relationships?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks for the quick feedback folks. and Yes, we have DRI implemented. (and for those tables without DRI, that's fine) --

I'm just trying to identify the LOAD SEQUENCE for 100+ tables in my SSIS package.. My HARNESS package will fire sub-LOADERS which each contain individual SSIS pkg's ... Need to load those PARENTS 1st of course..

BT

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply