Need to backup/restore to seperate server

• Need to backup to seperate server, whne I click on add it only lets me look on the drives for teh current server. How do I path it, out to the network?  THANKS

• Hi there

restore database northwind_unc

from disk = '\\pc-124405\unctest\northwind.bak'

WITH MOVE 'Northwind' TO 'c:\testdb.mdf',

MOVE 'Northwind_log' TO 'c:\testdb.ldf'

Processed 320 pages for database 'northwind_unc', file 'Northwind' on file 1.

Processed 1 pages for database 'northwind_unc', file 'Northwind_log' on file 1.

RESTORE DATABASE successfully processed 321 pages in 0.247 seconds (10.621 MB/sec).

Now this was all fine locally, but over the network where security applies, you may have some issues.  Be aware of the service account in which sql server runs for example and its physical access to the path via integrated security (it doesnt pop up a login screen for you to authenticate over the UNC).

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• Chris is on the money on the permissions issues.  The first question that comes to mind is "WHY?".  I'm guessing that you do not have enough disk space on the box. 

If that is the case, then it's more than likely a very large db, which can take forever to backup to a UNC share.  Not sure what backup software you are using, but most (such as Veritas & ArcServe) have SQL Server backup agents for a couple hundred $$, which really compress the data and get speedy backups over the network.

• I backup to a UNC to keep backups live on site for up to a week. We use a mix of SQL Litespeed and normal sql backups depending on the database side. We have almost quit using any backup software to backup SQL streight to tape. It is almost impossible to do T-Log backups to tape every hour or so all day then try to restore all of that to a point in time. Dumping it to a UNC share makes life much much easier.

Wes

• You can also enter the UNC in the maintenance plan wizard. You have to type it in or paste it, you can not browse for the UNC folder. I usually open Network Neighborhood browse to the folder and cut the path from the address line. I have my folder options set to show the full path name in the address line.

• U can as well use FTP the file over network on to the other server and restore it. Let me know if you require the script to do that.

• Thanks that will work.

I am grading a live box and want a backup of db to send to test server before I take down the live. I would use DTS but it is blowing up 3/4 of the way through. Will add replication inorder to prevent in future just need a fix for now. THANKS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply