Need to grant execute permissions on all sprocs of a specific database to all server logins of a SQL instance without explicitly granting exec permissions on each individual object

• I have a certain database in a SQL instance that serves as just a library of code (sprocs and UDFs) and needs to be freely accessed from code on other databases in the same instance.

This is a generic library that needs to be made accessible to all logins on the server.

Say userA is executing sprocA on databaseA and within sprocA there is a reference to a sproc in the library db.

userA should be able to execute that portion of the code - the portion referencing the library-db object.

How can a set up this access without having to explicitly grant EXEC permissions on each sproc/UDF in the library db to specific logins/groups?

I tried to add the public role to db_owner in library db but it gave me an error.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Create a group called something like "LibraryExecutors" (sounds bad, you might think of a better name), put everyone in it, grant that group execute rights in your library database. Not db_owner, use Grant Execute.

Something like:

CREATE ROLE [db_executor];

grant execute to db_executor;

EXEC sp_addrolemember N'db_executor', N'MyNewGroup';

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Althout that solution will work, it still would require one to add every user created (even in the future) to that group. Is there any way to allow all users to access the "library" db without specifically adding priviliges for each and every user?

• You could simplify to:

GRANT EXEC TO PUBLIC;

I'm not sure I'd go that far in any database I'm responsible for, but it should work.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• One of the way to do it is to enable the guest user :

Use Your_db

go

grant connect to guest

grant execute to guest

go

• GSquared (1/13/2012)

You could simplify to:

GRANT EXEC TO PUBLIC;

I think you still have to create a user in the database with that.

• azdzn (1/13/2012)

GSquared (1/13/2012)

You could simplify to:

GRANT EXEC TO PUBLIC;

I think you still have to create a user in the database with that.

Use the guest account.

Edit: Just noticed you suggested about the same thing. Either method works.

Property of The Thread

• azdzn (1/13/2012)

One of the way to do it is to enable the guest user :

Use Your_db

go

grant connect to guest

grant execute to guest

go

Thank you all for the input, it is appreciated.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]

• Perfect!!

I was able to install my CLR functions into a db called Library and then use these scripts to enable having all users call the functions without needing to create a new user on the Library dB for all of my users.

use Library;

go

grant connect to guest

grant execute to guest

grant select to guest

go

• rlevine (1/16/2012)

Perfect!!

I was able to install my CLR functions into a db called Library and then use these scripts to enable having all users call the functions without needing to create a new user on the Library dB for all of my users.

use Library;

go

grant connect to guest

grant execute to guest

grant select to guest

go

PUBLIC didn't work? I ask only because one of the usual "best practices" for security reasons is to disable the GUEST account.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (1/16/2012)

rlevine (1/16/2012)

Perfect!!

use Library;

go

grant connect to guest

grant execute to guest

grant select to guest

go

PUBLIC didn't work? I ask only because one of the usual "best practices" for security reasons is to disable the GUEST account.

Public is a role, not an account. You'd have to make sure everyone was in that role, and apparently that's not an option here, per a prior post.

This whole thing is going into realms, security-wise, that I'd NEVER allow on any server I'm responsible for, but apparently it's what's needed here.

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (1/17/2012)

Jeff Moden (1/16/2012)

rlevine (1/16/2012)

Perfect!!

use Library;

go

grant connect to guest

grant execute to guest

grant select to guest

go

Public is a role, not an account. You'd have to make sure everyone was in that role, and apparently that's not an option here, per a prior post.

This whole thing is going into realms, security-wise, that I'd NEVER allow on any server I'm responsible for, but apparently it's what's needed here.

Yep... I know Public is a role and, by default (IIRC), everyone is a member of that role at creation time.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• GSquared (1/17/2012)

Jeff Moden (1/16/2012)

rlevine (1/16/2012)

Perfect!!

use Library;

go

grant connect to guest

grant execute to guest

grant select to guest

go

Depends what you give access on. If, for example, the Library db contains only UDFs for regular expressions, then the risk of harm by allowing guest access on these objects is minimal. It's a balance between what is safe to allow and what will give the most savings in terms of future maintenance.

Even "best practices" should be looked at with a critical eye.

• No, public did not work without creating a user in the target db first, which is what I am trying to avoid.

• rlevine (1/17/2012)

No, public did not work without creating a user in the target db first, which is what I am trying to avoid.

Ok... thanks for the feedback.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply