need to restart after installing SQL Server SP3..............

• Hello friends, I have windows server 2003, and I have installed SP3 for SQL Server 2005. Now since i did not stop some of the services i need to restart the server. And i was told that the best way to restart the server is doing from DOS prompt.

I have the command as ----"shutdown /r /t 0 /f" or is it "shutdown /r". so is it a right command, or may be someone have some other command better than me.

• dos prompt help for shutdown shows this:

X:\>shutdown /?

Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

No args Display this message (same as -?)

-i Display GUI interface, must be the first option

-l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)

-s Shutdown the computer

-r Shutdown and restart the computer

-a Abort a system shutdown

-m \\computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort

-t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds

-c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)

-f Forces running applications to close without warning

-d [p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown

u is the user code

p is a planned shutdown code

xx is the major reason code (positive integer less than 256)

yy is the minor reason code (positive integer less than 65536)

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• espanolanthony (9/4/2009)

Hello friends, I have windows server 2003, and I have installed SP3 for SQL Server 2005. Now since i did not stop some of the services i need to restart the server. And i was told that the best way to restart the server is doing from DOS prompt.

I have the command as ----"shutdown /r /t 0 /f" or is it "shutdown /r". so is it a right command, or may be someone have some other command better than me.

sigh, your first example will shutdown and restart the server immediately and will force any running applications to close. your second example will do a shutdown and restore.

Either choice will work, however it is better practise to shutdown any existing applications that are running cleanly before restarting the server. So your 2nd choice is better after making sure that any applications and application services are shutdown cleanly before you reboot .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• thanks a lot.

• You can shutdown SQL Server from within SSMS using SHUTDOWN as a T-SQL command. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188767.aspx)

I almost never restart my servers from the command prompt. The GUI works fine, and will send shutdown messages to all servers.

• Steve Jones - Editor (9/4/2009)

You can shutdown SQL Server from within SSMS using SHUTDOWN as a T-SQL command. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188767.aspx)

I almost never restart my servers from the command prompt. The GUI works fine, and will send shutdown messages to all servers.

Not always, otherewise there wouldnt be a /f switch for shutdown command line. GUI is ok most of the time but there are good reasons why wintel restart using command line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Steve Jones - Editor (9/4/2009)

You can shutdown SQL Server from within SSMS using SHUTDOWN as a T-SQL command. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188767.aspx)

There is an issue with restarting servers when RDP'd into the machine. Sometimes, they just don't want to restart and you have to resort to the command line.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply