Need to show multivalued report parameters on report

• I have a report which contains single valued and multi valued parameters. I want to show selected parameters as well on report. What I exactly want is my multivalued parameter is having around 1000 values which user can select. Now if user selects more than 50 values also, then it doesn't makes any sense to show all values on report. Does anyone knows any better way of showing these values on report so that the person who is using the reports will know what values he selected on the report to generate it.

:rolleyes:

• While I've never needed to represent that many values in a parameter selection, I've only done perhaps 75-100 in each parameter I've found that most users seem to want either only a few or all of them. I then compare the number of selected parameter values to the total available values I use and IIF that basically if they are the same (i.e. the user selected all values) I output a statement like "all values selected" or alternatively output the selected values.

I guess the big question would be what if they wanted 999 of the 1000 available values for your parameter? you'd have a rather lengthy list, probably a page or more just in the selection criteria. I think then it becomes how worthwhile is that data? Perhaps you can cut it off when the list is say over 50 selections, with some verbiage to that effect?

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Here is an off the wall idea. Try putting an expression to display all the parameters in the tool tip. That way the user can hover and see their parameters without necessarily cluttering the report. One caveat, I am not sure if the Tool Tip has a character limitation.

Or, perhaps put a text box below your table that has an expression with your parameters, that way they would print at the end of the report and not clutter up every page.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply