NESTING LEVEL FOR SSIS PACKAGES.........????

• Is there something called nesting level for ssis packages? Like, we have for Procs. If not, then my topic is wrong, however I will try to explain in full details what I am thinking of.

I am in the design phase of our daily and weekly load of some flat files. What I was thinking was - I will have "two" master packages (let's called them DailyMaster.dtsx and WeeklyMaster.dtsx)

Each of the master package will call several other child packages. ( I am planning to do this through For loop and table, which holds package job id, locationpath, status and few more things. I will be calling four or five child packages at parallel. This applies to both master packages which will be seperate from each other.

Now my question is can I call one master package which executes several other child packages.

Example :- PackageA calling PackageB and PackageB calling serveral other child packages?.

To my scenerio, Since,WeeklyMaster.dtsx will only run once a week(which calls it's one set of child packages), I want to call this package (through my Dailymaster.dtsx) every Sunday (I will use constraints and expressiosn to control the flow)

Can I do that?

• [font="Arial"]I do what you are asking every day.

My task is to load data from several sources every night. Even with DTS I found that parallel execution was possible and it shortened the job run time considerably. SSIS told me that 6 concurrent tasks were possible. I looked at the task manager display and chose four concurrent task as my limit.

The second level packages run serially. Each of them starts with a script step (which does no scripting, it is just a place holder)

from which four branches connect the the working tasks (arranged horizontally). Each of these packages must ExecuteOutOfProcess in order for the concurrent execution to take place) I have the four worker packages connect their next step branches to another script task placeholder.

Hope this helps,

IanO

[/font]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply