.NET and SQL 2008

• Dear all

When I installed SQL 2008 it requested that I installed .NET, which came on the DVD of SQL 2008. Looking on the MS Website it says ".NET Framework 3.5 builds incrementally on the new features added in .NET Framework 3.0", does that mean that it has installed but is using some features of previous versions rather than being a full product in its own right?

Can anyone help me out on this pleas.

If it does not mean that then how can I tell if .NET 3.5 has installed correctly

• I think SQL 2008 needs 3.5 SP1 RTM even

If you have Visual Studio 2008 installed, it wans VS2008 SP1 installed first as well

Let the SQL installer install whatever it needs (then reboots), start the installer again ...

I believe you can see the .Net installed in Control Panel

Mine shows .Net 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1 .... so confusing

However, in my SSMS2008 -> Help -> About, it says my .Net Framework is only 2.0,

strange considering I have SQL 2008 Server installed on my computer

SQLServerNewbie MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • I haven't moved up to SQL Server 2008 or VS2008, but VS2008 SP1 incorporates .NET 3.5 SP1.

To determine the version(s) of .NET installed, see Microsoft Support.

MSDN says that .NET 3.0 automatically installed .NET 2.0, and added Windows Presentation Foundation, Windows Communications Foundation and Windows Workflow Foundation.

.NET 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 could be installed separately with independent CLRs for side-by-side execution. .NET 3.5 bundles everything together, with 2.0 as a subset, and common code. Just so long as we don't revisit DLL hell...

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply